Thursday, March 22, 2012

Desiring to Suffer

"Man, your eyes are beautiful today Heather"..."Hey Heather, you look cute today"...

People can say those things all they want but NO compliment will ever compare to this one...

"Hey Heather, why are you so full of joy?"

Gosh, that is the best

SO many people live their life searching for happiness, chasing their desires, and loving themselves. So you get the car you've dreamed of, you get the family you've always wanted, you got the "A" you strived for, you made good money today- there is no eternal value in those things. Temporary happiness is all that you will gain.

Fulfilling your desires with things of this world will always leave you wanting MORE. 

People live their life searching for an eternal joy, and they look everywhere but towards the one who gives it. When you are full of joy, you bet people are going to ask where the heck you got it. They see it, and THEY WANT IT. Peter tells us, "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have." [1 Peter 3:15]

Joy is a fruit of the spirit for a reason. We will never attain it on our own. "The spirit intervenes in our weakness, but not in our avoidance." [B Moore] We have to abide in the Spirit to be filled. 

No way am I joyful all the time, I'm only human. But I do know when I am full of the spirit, because people are asking- asking how they can get it. I'm currently doing a 10 week Beth Moore study on the fruits of the spirit, and this week has been all about joy. These are some things I've learned..

How do you get joy?

1. Remembering your salvation- David says it himself, "Restore to me the JOY of your SALVATION." [Psalm 51:12] The bible clearly tells us that those who don't belong to Christ will be destroyed. [2 Peter 3:7] "destroy" in greek is "apoleia", which means: "losing, loss, the state after death wherein exclusion from salvation is a realized fact." Dang. Another definition for "apoleia" is "waste". Their lives are a total waste. Who wants their lives to be meaningless? NO ONE! Praise him that your life has PURPOSE, your life has MEANING, and your life is in the BOOK OF LIFE.

"TRUE joy is when the weight of the gospel makes you fall to your knees and puts humility on your face and all you can do is look up in hope."
 
2. Restoration- "Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again..My lips will shout for JOY when I sing praise to you." [Psalm 71:20, 23] I think back to the times of my life that were the hardest- the most painful. In every single trial I have been through, joy has been the end result. Look at Paul for crying out loud- he loved to suffer, because restoration always followed. "I want to know Christ... and participate in his sufferings." [Phil 3:10] He says "after you have suffered a little while, he will restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast." [1 Peter 5:10] EVERY circumstance is an opportunity to bear fruit, even in the hardest of times. In your weakness He is strong. Knowing my sufferings have a purpose, knowing that he will restore me EVERY single time I am broken, and knowing the pain I feel now will never compare to the joy I will have in Heaven-  THAT is JOY. 

3. Community- Out of the entire week of my Spring Break trip this year, the best part was the night where my small group went into a time of confession and prayer. It wasn't the zipline, the games, the bonfire- it was the intimate time I spent with my community, because healing and joy were abounding that night. The Lord gives us one another to keep us running this race. It's like when you see the finish line ahead of you but literally fall to your knees in exhaustion- he gives you a community that turns around, comes to you, picks you up and says "I've been there before. But I promise you it is worth it." Paul calls our community our "crown and joy" [Phil 4:1]

Why don't I receive the compliments of "having joy" all the time? Well because I lose my joy- easily. Beth Moore says that these 5 reasons are why we lose our joy:

1. Our outpour exceeds our intake. We constantly have to be hearing truth to be filled. 
2. When our talk exceeds our walk. The Lord sees your heart, not your reputation. You cannot worship a God less than you proclaim. You also can't say you believe something and not live it out- if you don't live it than your faith is dead. [James 2:26]
3. When we don't slow down. Of course we feel the Lord in a moving worship service or at Church Camp, but you can still feel His presence in your own life if you would simply make the time to be with Him. Is getting 45 more minutes of sleep going to have eternal significance? Ouch. 
4. When we are exhausted. No way am I going to be full of joy on 2 hours of sleep and no food to fuel me. When we are so consumed in our academics or a circumstance in our life, we forget our purpose of life is to glorify the Lord and enjoy Him forever, and we run dry. My pastor once said, "When believers come to chaos they are still joyful. They can say "all of this can fall away and I'd be okay."
5. When we feel alone. When we feel like we are the only ones standing up for truth and don't rely on community. We NEED each other. Satan is battling for our souls, and we need each other for encouragement and accountability ALL the time. 

I desire joy more than anything in this world. Some days, it is hard to get it through my head that when we suffer, joy WILL follow. On days that I seek joy by indulging in the Spirit instead of indulging in my fleshly desires, I actually desire suffering. I have never really struggled with body image before- I would say I am fairly confident in the way I feel about myself. I wake up 5 minutes before class starts and hardly look in a mirror, I never have problems eatting enough, I could care less about my jean size. But I can't tell you how many friends, how many campers, and how many lies from the enemy I have heard that deal with not feeling attractive. I literally desire to struggle with this because I've never been challenged to love myself even when I physically want to hide from the world. I want my identity to be tested and I want to be restored. Some days I wonder what the heck I signed myself up for- and then I remember, good does not equal easy, but good WILL come from this, and most importantly- JOY will come from it. I have to remind myself of this every single day

2 comments:

  1. A CE camper...As a person who presently struggles with body image, loving myself and problems with eating enough- your desire to struggle amazes me and kinda challenges me. The hardest part on the journey of what I talked about above is knowing God, the perfect Potter, made me and loves me for who I am and yet I STILL question His making of me, it's so hard for me to understand why I question my being, His beautiful child.I get so frustrated in struggling with these issues, prayer for healing hasn't gotten me anywhere but still the truth doesn't change when I forget it God is STILL God and His creation is still good.
    Questioning Abba, makes me feel bad because so often the truth is so easily forgotten or distorted when the enemy attacks me.
    Lately I've been learning that I must CHOOSE JOY, every stinking day-since joy is a fruit of the spirit I can never attain it by myself but I must be filled and abide in the Spirit,also learning happiness is the result of circumstances and JOY is often inspite of them. I desire joy but I easily lose it, like you. I'm being restored and my identity is being tested, I'll pray for you on your journey of surrender and restoration. I'll join you and see what it looks like to surrender vanity and find my COMPLETE identity in Christ. Good will come and joy will not be far behind.
    Sorry for word vomit, I felt lead to share and trust it was for a purpose <3 A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [1 Peter 3:3-4] "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hair styles..or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in the Lord's sight." I don't even know who you are but I know you have a beautiful spirit and you are of great worth to the Lord. I'll be praying for you to overcome this battle, and I want to stand by you through this. Please continue to update me and share with me what the Lord is teaching you (hcr5814@truman.edu). Thank you for sharing, I really appreciate it.

      Delete